Welcome to Taproot!

Happy viewing and please provide feedback - it helps us grow

Thursday, June 4, 2009

today reflection

Today was a very interesting day. I don't typically discuss my daily activities that are outside of the CSA activities but I feel like it today. Will you put up with me?

A part of the rest of my world is participating in the Kings County Federation of Agriculture. Today there were three people who work for the Federal Department of Agriculture visiting Kings County. These people work at establishing Ag Profiles that contain information that can be helpful to regions in understanding what is going on with agriculture from a statistical perspective (it is more than that). I agreed to set up meetings with farmers today to help this team gain a perspective of what is happening here in Kings County.

I feel like sharing my thoughts on this day.

First off, when people report in the news and when you hear in passing that farms are in trouble, it is true. Even farms that look like they are doing really well in terms of investing in new technologies and things, they too are feeling the effects of a "cheap food policy". Overall, the amount that farms have to reinvest in their businesses is getting smaller and smaller.

Second off, when people are concerned about new young farmers coming on and positioning to be the "next generation" of farmers - that concern too is valid. It is extremely difficult to get loans to purchase farms. And extremely hard to have security in the first bunch of years in terms of cash flow. I believe in the power of the small farm, that is more accessible to new farmers, but I also know that the reality of maintaining our larger scale agricultural activity here in Kings County depends on young farmers farming some of the larger volume producing farms, the cost of this is restrictive.

Thirdly, regardless, there is optimism and there is tremendous potential here.

I rack my brain nearly every day a trying to sort out how we can create a change in the system so that farms are more viable. It is so dependent on the global market place and the policies. All of which seem impossible to change. Of course this leads me to doing what I can to maintain a viable farm business ourselves here, doing the CSA. And that of course is because of all of you.

What the CSA means for us (in terms of finances) is that we are able to farm with less financial risk and financial cost of borrow during the growing season. This is a big deal. Last year we planted, tended and harvested lots of things that never sold. The farm markets didn't need the products or we grew things that were just not mainstream enough to get a sale. We did very well with tomatoes, but still not enough to pay for everything. Now with the CSA it will still be tight each year until our mortgage is paid down, but now we have the security of having sold our products which makes each day very rewarding. We will have less harvested compost this year.

As a young farmer I feel very optimistic and I have my family and husband to thank for that. Optimism does not mean that I do not have a realistic way to thinking about all this. The reality is that we have a tremendous amount of support. We have Izaak, Lily and Frank and along with them we have sisters, mothers, fathers, and very close friends who all come and help all of the time in various ways. It is because we have so much support that we are able to do it all. Also, because we operate a few farms, the cost to utilize equipment is shared and not such a burden on one operation. These types of supports are critical in how we are able to manage.

As I have said before, I am very grateful to how supportive everyone is. It has been a surprise how much people are looking to build community and connections to their food. Thank you for that and I only hope that we can grow this energy to support other farmers in the same.

I suppose that these are enough comments for tonight. Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Patricia. Thank you for this post. It is gratifying to know how CSA participants are helping to support local endeavors. Especially those who work so hard and are willing to dream big. Just goes to show, it takes a village! And I get to have the first strawberries of the season before all of my friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Taryn and with what you have posted. I also have concern about who will continue farming when the current older generation of farmers is retired or gone. Thank you for letting us know how the CSA is helpful. It's so wonderful to be involved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patricia,
    I feel very priviledged to belong to the TapRoot CSA. Too many people are far removed from the work that goes into the food they consume. I have family members who farm in the valley who, like you have had crops wasted because there is no market for their harvest. Most people don't know that Sobeys & Superstore will only purchase from farmers who can guarantee a certain volume (read large industrial farms) & hardly any maritime farmers meet the requirements. Please continue to post your thoughts about farming. The message needs to be spread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Patricia -
    Thank you so much for sharing these thoughts. The very meaning of CSA is that we ARE community, we do SHARE, and its about AGRICULTURE - not just the food. The past several years have gone too far in taking the farmer out of farming and we really need - as a society - to get re-attached. Of course we're all talking to the converted in these posts - but hopefully being part of this community will give us all strength and courage to promote these ideas much further afield.
    Thanks again for sharing
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Patricia, and my fellow CSA'ers,
    What a wonderful post!! I loved it. We are a community and that is what I have felt through this whole experience, from the first day I emailed you and asked about CSA, to every week when we pick up our basket of food. I talk you up everywhere to anyone who will listen. I talk up not only the idea of CSA but the idea of Slow Food and eating locally. The fact of the matter is, you are OUR generation of farmer and I sincerely want you to succeed, not just for yourself and Josh, but your family and my family too. I want my children to grow up knowing they don't have to look to Mexico to get a nice juicy ripe tomato!!
    I have served meals to family since joining and they are SHOCKED that the entire veg for the meal comes from so close to home. My family are coming across, albeit slowly, to our side of the field.
    Keep the posts coming. Like the other posters have stated already, this is our community too..
    Thanks!!!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. In earlier times, more than half the population was directly involved in growing food. We enjoy an age of abundance and security. If more people understood this, we would not begrudge farmers a premium for having to operate within our local economy.

    ReplyDelete