Welcome to Taproot!

Happy viewing and please provide feedback - it helps us grow

Thursday, August 13, 2009

August 10/11 newsletter

Hello All - I have had some comments, positive and not so positive about the newsletter this week, or more to the point the info in the newsletter.

FYI - by no means were my comments to be of concern to anyone in terms of security. It was simply for awareness and connectedness to what is happening on the farm.

I have now realized that not everyone is interested in all the details of what is happening and from now on I will offer info to those who request it.

So very sorry for any discomfort I may have caused you.

Things are great - the sun is shining, people are smiling, Calvin is back from his trip home to Newfoundland and the freezer is running in the kitchen AND the stove is hooked up. This means we will be freezing green and yellow beans today for the winter baskets.

Have a lovely week.

4 comments:

  1. Are you kidding me? Ok. here's the thing. Believing that farming is always sunshine and happy days is like believing meat "just appears" on little styrofoamy plastic wrapped trays at the grocery store. There is mud. There is sacrifice. There is sweat. Personally, I liked the newsletter content this week. It was real and I felt more connectedness and more appreciation. I also felt even better about supporting TapRoot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your openess and honesty, in my view, are very appreciated and welcome. I agree with Taryn above. I feel very appreciative of all the hard work that goes into the food that I place on the table for my family each week. Thank you to everyone at Taproot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto.

    Besides - it's part of what a CSA IS. In good years we have lots of bounty (like extra zucchini ;)) above & beyond what you anticipated and in bad years we don't have as much. In the coming years, we will experience lots of both; that's life.

    All your newsletter note did was take it from general farm news to a bit more personal level - and I for one REALLY appreciated that. (I've been meaning to comment on it all week & this is the first chance I've had to even check mail.)

    I really AM interested. I'd ask more questions, but I'm afraid of being nosy - so I'm glad you spoke up. :)

    FWIW, I think it's important to have at least some kind of relationship (more than just "Hi Fred") with our suppliers/people with whom we deal. (Hopefully "supplier" eventually becomes "friend".)

    If you are in good times, we can be happy for you; if not, we can look for ways to help. Better that than suddenly finding your favourite farmer/bookseller/hardware shop/local restaurant/whatever closed its doors and you never know why.

    And this is your first year! First half-year, really. I'm rooting for you BIG time & really want to know how you're doing. Please find some way to keep us in the loop.

    Best wishes,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I can't believe someone woudl complain about that! I agree with everyone else here: I want to know how things really are. The newsletter wasn't whining or making excuses, it just told it like it is. I have no problem with that.

    ReplyDelete